With roots in medieval France, the sport of croquet has evolved into a fun outdoor game typically played on grass. Some sets are even designed to be played indoors, allowing you to enjoy the activity year-round. There are a wide variety of croquet sets available on the market, ranging in quality and type for preferred gameplay.
We’ve selected the best croquet sets so you can confidently make a purchase that will result in enjoyable gameplay. These sets are chosen for best overall performance, durability, and consider varying budgets. This guide also provides you with important information in choosing a croquet set based on your preferences and playing style, which may impact your decisions.
What is the Best Croquet Set?
The “best” croquet set is a somewhat subjective measure because it depends on what your goals are for playing croquet. A large factor in determining which set you choose will be the frequency at which you play. For frequent use, you’ll want a durable set, allowing you to play many rounds without damage to the mallets or the balls.
- COMPLETE CROQUET SET - The Sports Outdoor Croquet set comes with everything you need, like 6x 28"...
- PREMIUM WOOD MATERIAL & PRACTICAL STRUCTURE: The Mallet head is crafted from premium rubber wood,...
- EASY TO USE & FUNNY FOR FAMILY - With meticulously design, the croquet set with wooden mallets are...
- COMPLETE CROQUET SET: Includes 6 color mallets, 6 balls, 9 wickets, 2 end posts and rules.
- KIDS AND ADULTS: Full size 35 inch handles can be used by players of all sizes, not just kids;...
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Mallets are crafted from premium Hardwoods for durability and feature a modern...
- 【EASY & FUNNY FOR EVERYONE】 - ROPODA croquet set for families/adults/kids is quite easy to learn...
- 【COMPLETE CROQUET SET】 - ROPODA crocket game set includes 6 handles, 6 mallets with protection...
- 【UNBEATABLE QUALITY & EASY SET-UP】 - Handles and mallets are made of premium hardwood and easy...
Overall, the best croquet sets should meet the following requirements for optimal play performance and quality:
- Sturdy wooden mallets with reinforced ends
- Heavier mallet and ball weights
- Longer mallet shafts
Mallets are typically the most important consideration when choosing a croquet set. They have the largest impact on technique and will wear the fastest with consistent contact on the wooden balls. Looking at their reviews for durability will be one of the greatest driving forces in making your choice.
It is also important to note that sets designed for adults will be more expensive than the standard toy sets that are commonly available for family use. They are designed to be hit harder and withstand harder contact between the mallet and ball.
According to the United States Croquet Association, you can expect to pay between $300-500 for adults sets (Source: Croquet America). Most premium croquet sets need to be purchased from the manufacturers directly.
Hurlingham Croquet Sets
If you play croquet frequently in your garden, the Hurlingham Croquet Sets are an excellent choice. They became our top choice for their ash hardwood handle construction and brass bindings to reinforce the mallet head. The mallets on are on the heavier side (2 lbs. 14 oz.), and the set comes with regulation size and weight balls to best replicate official match conditions.
The sets are available in both 4 and 6 player options depending on the group sizes you plan to play with. The total length of the mallets is 36,” which can be used by nearly all sized players for versatility and improved performance. They are not only well constructed but maintain a beautiful traditional style.
These sets are recommended for those who want to take their croquet game seriously and make an investment in a great product. The Hurlingham line is made in England and recommended by the Croquet Association (Source: The Croquet Association). The name of the set is associated with the head type, which features a barrel-like cylinder with metal bearings.
What We Like
- All included equipment is artfully designed and durable for long-term croquet play
- Octagonal-shaped grips on the shaft are best for improving the feel of the mallet and improved stroke technique
- Powder-coated hoops are best for weatherproofing and rust prevention
- The sets come in a nylon carrying case or pine box for easy storage and protection
What We Don’t
- One of the more expensive brands, this may be out of many budget ranges for casual or infrequent use
Alternative Recommendations for Croquet Sets
While the following croquet sets did not take the number one spot, they are all quality sets at varying price points. The first two options on this secondary list, Amish-Crafted and Wood Mallets, come in a very close second to the Hurlingham set, both in terms of quality and price point. We recommend these sets as an investment in the game for a lifetime of playing.
Consider the following if you do not want to invest in an expensive croquet set or will not use the set frequently to warrant a top of the line purchase. The Franklin and Crown Sporting Goods sets are among the best for budget-conscious consumers. They strike a good balance between quality and price for adult croquet players.
- Quality Made by Amish Craftsmen in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
- Deluxe 8 Player Set.
- Made with Maple Hardwood for Long-Lasting Durability.
Amish-Crafted Deluxe 8-Player Croquet Game Set
Comparing the best quality and highly rated croquet sets on the market, the premium Amish-Crafted Croquet Game Set proves to be one of the best sets for its quality construction and durability. Unlike many of the other sets on the market, it comes with eight mallets made of maple hardwood, which are designed for long-lasting gameplay.
We recommend this croquet set for those looking to play often without damage to the equipment or want to make a one-time purchase rather than pay for the replacement of cheaper sets.