Once you have your smartphone, there are countless apps available; some will make your life easier, some will help you pass the time. Unfortunately, this abundance can be problematic as it becomes difficult to navigate which apps are worth downloading. While you’re getting used to navigating your smartphone, here are some excellent apps to have downloaded.
Medical ID: In Case of Emergency
– Android only
This app allows you to create medical profiles that can be accessed from your phone’s lock screen. In an emergency where your phone can’t be unlocked, this app lets first responders and emergency medical technicians get quick access to information such as your allergies, blood type, or emergency contacts.
There is also a premium version that can be purchased from the Google Play store. The developer recommends using the free version first to make sure the app works well with your device.
The premium app has the following features:
- Immediate access to pertinent medical information from your lock screen
- Ability to send an emergency text with an estimated location with one click
- Emergency contact calls without having to unlock your phone.
MyID – Medical ID Profile
Another medical identification app, MyID, allows you to create a profile of your emergency information that will be accessible via a QR code on your phone’s lock screen. This app is free, but there is a paid version that has a few more features.
The following chart gives the features of each of the MyID app versions:
|List of Medications||Yes||Yes|
|List of Allergies||Yes||Yes|
|Ability To Notify Emergency Contacts||Yes||Yes|
|Text GPS location of where Medical ID is scanned||No||Yes|
|Upload and store documents (insurance, living wills, etc.)||No||Yes|
Find My Phone
If your phone is ever lost or stolen, this app locates your phone using its GPS. However, the app must be installed on your device before it is lost or stolen to work. After installation and setup, log in to the website to locate your device. You will also have access to the device’s previous locations.
This app allows you to access ebooks – and magazines, newspapers, comics, mangas, and more – on your phone. While there is free content available in the Kindle store, most of the content will have to be purchased.
Libby App By OverDrive
Honestly, this is a must-have app for all people, not just seniors. Libby connects you to your local public library to check out digital copies of ebooks and audiobooks. Even better, you don’t have to go to the library to check out books physically; you do it all on your device. When the book is due back, it automatically returns itself. All that’s required is that you have an active library card.
Reading Glasses – Magnifier
– Available for Android
With this app, you can use your smartphone to magnify and illuminate any fine print you may be having trouble reading. The app developers state that the image quality will depend on your phone’s camera and recommends cameras higher than 8 MP.
– Available for iOS
Similar to Reading Glasses for the Android platform, Glasses allows you to magnify and illuminate the things you’d like to read that are too small. In addition to magnifying the world around you, this app works with your selfie camera to illuminate and magnify your face.
Words With Friends
This is a mobile game similar to Scrabble. You can challenge friends and loved ones, no matter how much distance is between you. You can also play with strangers. This game is fun and keeps your mind sharp, which can potentially hold off age-related mental deterioration.
The American Association of Retired Persons has a mobile app that’s free for Android and iOS platforms. The app’s features include:
- Digital Membership Card
- Access to and management of your account
- Find membership discounts, events, and offers near you.
Best Seller Smartphone Apps
Check out some more best selling smartphone apps that may be of interest to you. Amazon maintains a bestseller list of apps & games that you can check. We’ve also created a list of Amazon’s apps and games for seniors.
- 47 unique brain games
- 6 training categories: Awareness, Adaptability, Reflex, Reasoning, Precision, and Patience
- Train everyday!
- 💮 Train your brain
- 🌻 Great stress reliever, take a break and de-stress from your busy day
- 🏵️ Beautiful flowers and blossoms
- Miller, Michael (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 352 Pages - 09/18/2020 (Publication Date) - Que Publishing (Publisher)
- Hundreds of puzzles
- Instant fun, just download & play!
- Super easy controls & funny animations.
- Great puzzle game for adults in all ages
- Find 10 differences between two pictures
- Hurry up, time is running out
Your ad could be here.
- Best Binoculars for Bird Watching
- Best Bowling Shoes for Seniors
- Best Camping Gear for Seniors
- Best Croquet Sets
- Best Electric Shavers for Seniors
- Best Gadget Canes for Seniors
- Best Garden Kneelers for Seniors
- Best Puzzle Types for Seniors
- Best Shower Chairs for Elderly
- Best Smartphone Accessories
- Best Smartphone Apps for Seniors
- Best Velcro Shoes for Elderly
- Best Walkers for Seniors
- Top 5 Smartphones for Seniors
- Activities for Seniors Guide
- Best Car Rental Discounts
- Best Dog Breeds for Seniors
- Best Errand Services for Seniors
- Best Medical Alert System Guide
- Best Travel Insurance for Seniors
- Complete Senior Center Guide
- Complete Senior Discount Guide
- Coronavirus Guide for Seniors
- Guide to Bowling for Seniors
- Guide to Choosing Senior Helpers
- Guide to Stair Lifts
- Hospital Bed Rentals Guide
- Senior Citizen Age Guide (FAQs)
- Senior Estate Planning Checklist
This top-ranked site now has over 4,000 pages of humor, nostalgia, senior advocacy and useful information for seniors 50+. Updates weekly!
The daily e-zine for everyone over 50 who feels way too young to be old.
"...the perfect mix of Andy Rooney, Dave Barry, and Garrison Keilor, combining knee-slapping humor with useful information and genuine compassion."Retired.com
"Thousands look to and trust Suddenly Senior. Other Websites pale in comparison to the real-life, intimate look into senior lives. What sets apart Suddenly Senior is its blistering honesty and its incomparable encouragement. Millions need guidance."Suzette Martinez Standring
"Best Senior Site ever on the Web! Great, up-to-date information on how seniors can save money on drugs. Wonderful nostalgia. Hard-hitting senior advocacy pieces that get read in high places. Wonderful humor. It's all at Suddenly Senior."Alexa.com