Grooming can be quite difficult for an elderly individual. That’s certainly true for shaving. When you shave, you risk cutting yourself which is more likely if your hands shake or you have a loose grip. That’s why an electric razor for an elderly man will always be a fantastic choice. Electric razors are safer and can even be more cost-effective over an extended period.
There are countless electric razors on the market today. Each provides its own strengths and weaknesses. Some use the latest tech while others offer a closer shave. Here is our complete guide on buying one of the best electric razors for elderly men.
Amazon’s Top Bestselling Electric Razors for Elderly Men
The following electric shavers for elderly men can all be found on Amazon’s bestseller list.
- IPX7 Waterproof/Wet and Dry Use - The whole body of this Mens electric razor is IPX 7 waterproof,...
- 3D Floating Shaving Head - This electric razor for men is equipped with the double ring and 3 D...
- LED Display with Battery Left Minutes - This mens electric razor has the advanced intelligent...
- 【Ultra Thin Foil Technology】YASUN YS5800 electric razor is designed with Ultra Thin Foil...
- 【Intelligent Shaving System】Three floating blades combined with an intelligent anti-pinch system...
- 【Safety Lock/Trimmer/Features】 Built with a simple but effective travel safety lock located on...
- Painless Close Shaving < < Painless, low noise, hypoallergenic, 3D rotary close shaving acomplished...
- Pop-up Trimmer < < Upgraded double-blade pop-up trimmer, one touch to open, helps precisely trim and...
- Battery Countdown and Smart Safety Lock < < Designed with battery status countdown in percentage on...
Compare Best Electric Shavers for Elderly Men
We’ve selected our four favorite electric shavers for elderly men. You can read more about each product below.
Braun Series 9 9390cc Electric Razor
- World's most efficient electric shaver. Efficient, close and gentle, for a flawless shave
- Best efficiency: 5 shaving elements get more hair in one stroke than any other shavers
- Best for gentleness: sonic vibrations glide over your skin for maximum skin comfort
If you are searching for one of the most advanced and luxurious razors on the market, then you should certainly consider this tool by Braun. If you can get over the price – easily one of the most expensive possibilities on our list – then you’re going to be delighted by what this razor can offer you. You certainly get a lot of bang for your buck with a clean/charge system as well as a travel kit.
Do note that there are two varieties of this razor. The 90XX is the older variation. Instead, you should choose the 93XX as this fixes a lot of the previous flaws. Compared with a different model like the 7, this razor does have an extra cutter in the middle. That’s great for those particularly stubborn hairs that just will not go away.
There are also some small barber clips that flip out from the side of the unit. It’s faster than the 7 too. For an elderly man, all these features are ideal because it makes the razor versatile and easy to use. The Series 9 9390cc also provides a simple feature that will let you know whether the device is clean or dirty.
You will also be delighted to find that this razor is built to last too. You won’t need to replace it for at least 5 years. As well as this, since the razor is waterproof, you won’t have to worry about it rusting or getting ruined.
Sonic technology built into the razor will also ensure that this is sturdy to use. You won’t have to worry about any accidental slips here and it’s ergonomic too. This means that it’s easy for anyone to hold whether you’re a caregiver or shaving your own face.
Obviously, the main disadvantage is still the cost. There are razors on the market for a lower cost that provides the same time of experience. However, arguably you still get a lot for what you pay with this device.
- Versatile: choose between different blades, cutters, and how you want to shave (wet or dry)
- Easy to clean and use
- Built to last
- 50 minutes of shaving without the cord before a recharge is required
- Plenty of tech extras included such as charging station, maintenance monitor
- Heavy cost
- Will still fail eventually
- Not a massive improvement on the Series 7 790cc
- Quiet but not silent.
There’s no denying this is a fantastic razor for an elderly gentleman with a lot of big benefits. It just depends on whether you’re willing to pay the large price tag.
Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor for Men (ES-LV95-s Flexible Automatic)
- Sharp men’s shaver blades: Panasonic ARC5 men's electric shaver with five ultra-sharp precision...
- Wet/Dry electric shaver and trimmer 2 in 1: Build-in pop up trimmer details mustaches, beards and...
- Multi Flex pivoting head: Panasonic flexible pivoting electric shaver head glides effortlessly to...
You can always trust Panasonic to bring the latest tech to the hands of consumers and the ES-LV95 is no exception. Similar to the Braun Series 9 9390cc, this razor also provides you with the option of shaving your face whether it’s wet or dry. It also comes with a full cleaning and charging stand so there is no hands-on maintenance. Slot the shaver into the stand and it will be clean as well as fully charged in no time.
A big advantage this razor has over the Braun Series 9 9390cc is that it’s significantly cheaper. Is this reflected in the quality of the shave? Due to the tech included, you still get a brilliant shave. For instance, the sensor tech ensures that you always get the shave you need based on the level of facial hair that you have.
Essentially, the power is automatically adapted depending on whether the facial hair is long or thick. An elderly man won’t notice this change but they will see the incredible effects.
This razor charges incredibly quickly. In just 45 minutes it will be 100%. While you can clean this shaver using the equipment provided, you will need to purchase the cleaner cartridges. This does add to the cost but you still won’t be spending as much as you would for the Braun Series 9 9390cc.
One of the considerations that you should make when buying an electric razor is how many passes over you’ll need to get a smooth finish. With this razor, it only takes a couple of shaves before your skin feels smooth.
The device from Panasonic also has a pivoting head. That’s perfect for an elderly man because the razor is always at the right angle for the best shave, without you needing to tilt your head. It’s also going to make things a lot easier for the caregiver.
- Only take a few minutes to get the smooth shave you want
- Various different shaving options for your specific type of facial hair
- Comfortable grip ideal for elderly individuals
- High-quality design with plenty of tech features
- Fast charge so the razor is ready to use in no time
- Cleaning solution and replacement blades add to the cost
- A wet shave is more difficult than dry
- Cleaning procedure can’t be stopped once started
This razor from Panasonic is certainly more budget-friendly compared with the Braun. It also provides a lot of advanced features to make shaving easier for an elderly man. You won’t have to worry about adjusting your face to get the close shave that you need.
Philips SP9860 (Electric Prestige Metallic)
In terms of expense, this is quite close to the Braun Series 9 9390cc however it does provide a lot of advanced features that you would be smart to consider. For instance, the razor has nanotech blades. While this might sound like a buzz phrase, it does provide a close shave for that perfect finish that you want.
These blades also help ensure that you do have a smooth experience shaving, due to the long-lasting blades. Ultimately, you won’t have to worry about these getting ragged or rough in just a couple of years.
Another key feature that you might want to consider is the Qi wireless charging pad. This is definitely a unique option that you won’t find with other electric razors on the market. It makes the device a lot easier for the user overall.
Something to consider when purchasing an electric razor for an elderly man is comfort. It’s crucial that the razor does not cause any issues for the duration of the shave. If you choose this option from Philips, you’ll find the shave is barely noticeable. That’s exactly what you need.
As well as providing a comfortable shave, it’s also great to hold. You’ll find that this razor is surprisingly light for an electric device and that means that you can move it around as you need to.
This is a rotary blade and some people do have issues with this type of design if they have long hair. However, you won’t find that to be a problem here. It still provides a close shave.
- Advanced blades ensure that the shave feels smooth
- Lightweight and comfortable design for elderly individuals or caregivers
- Advanced technology including wireless charging
- Additional extras included such as a beard styler
- High cost rivals the Braun Series 9 9390cc
- No cleaning station included
- Not as versatile in terms of the type of shave you can experience.
This is definitely one of the most advanced electric razors available to purchase on the market. Again the price is quite high but it’s worth paying to take advantage of the latest technology on the market. It also comes with numerous extras including a premium travel case.
Braun Series 7 790cc
- Intelligent Sonic technology automatically increases power while shaving in difficult areas and on...
- The Series 7 electric razor comes with an ActiveLift trimmer that captures flat-lying hairs in...
- OptiFoil cuts hair as short as 0.05mm for perfect closeness
Similar to the Series 9 9390cc, the Series 7 790cc from Braun does come with numerous accessories including a cleaning/charging station as well as a travel case. As well as this, you can also choose to shave with a wet or dry face.
It’s entirely your choice which one you prefer here. Something to keep in mind is that while other Braun razors are well known for missing small hairs, you won’t have that issue here. Instead, you can get the true smooth shave that you want.
It’s also worth mentioning that this does provide a fast shave too. You won’t need to worry about you need to go over the same spot multiple times to get the smooth finish. This is even true around the jawline where it’s quite difficult to get all the hairs the first time.
It’s a high-quality build too so you won’t have to worry about this razor needing a replacement after a couple of years. If there is an issue with this razor it also comes with a long warranty.
This shave is highly efficient too which is ideal if you’re on a busy schedule. For this reason, it’s widely favored for caregivers who do need to look after multiple elderly men. You’ll definitely find this one in care homes.
- Comparatively similar to Braun Series 9 9390cc with a far lower price tag
- Choose from five different modes to get the shave that you need
- Comfortable to use regardless of whether you’re shaving your own face or someone else
- The fantastic tech ensures you get a truly close shave
- Replacement blades are not the same quality as the original
- While more expensive than the Braun Series 9 9390cc, it exceeds this razor in every way
- Loud even for an electric razor so not recommended for those with sensory issues
If you love the look and the features of the Braun Series 9 9390cc but you don’t want to pay the expensive price tag, then this could be the ideal option for you. It provides a lot of the main benefits and while not quite as advanced it still offers a comfortable experience shaving for an elderly man.
Philips Norelco S9721/89 Electric Shaver 9700
- Designed for a close shave in mind, Philips Norelco Shaver 9700 always delivers superior closeness...
- Each shaving head independently moves in 8 directions to follow your face's every curve. This...
- Choose the speed setting that best fits your skin and hair type: Slow (for an even more skin...
One of the first features you will notice about this razor is the ergonomic design. Even the shape of this razor has been carefully chosen to ensure that it’s a pleasure to hold as you go over the different contours and curves of the face. It will cut a lot of the hair in just one pass too so you won’t have to worry about needing multiple attempts to get all the hairs.
As well as this, the blades are designed to be in a perfect position so you can guarantee optimal levels of cutting. This greatly reduces issues with accidental cuts even if your grip isn’t the best.
There are a total of eight directional blades that use contour detection technology. This is designed to ensure that you barely feel the razor as it brushes over your face and it works like a charm. It offers a sensitive solution too so there is an issue with the razor causing irritation on your skin after the shave.
There’s also a fantastic dual-filtration system. This means that you can clean, gel, and form hair all from the same system. This product does come with a full cleaning station so difficulties maintaining the device yourself are a problem now buried in the past. Perhaps one of the strongest points is the price. Even with the charging station, it’s a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives on the market.
- The cleaning station of this device is fantastic
- It keeps things comfortable while delivering the rapid results that you want.
- It will cut the hair of different lengths without issues
- It’s a budget-friendly choice compared to alternatives
- Not the most efficient option on the market
- Cleaning station can develop issues
There’s definitely a lot of reasons why this razor could be a perfect choice. Beyond the fantastic interface and the advanced technology, the blades are also perfect for different lengths of hair. This will also offer comfortable electric shaves that are going to be great for an elderly man too.
Key Points To Consider
As you can see, there are numerous great choices on the market. However, before you go out and buy one for yourself, there are a few key points that you should keep in mind.
What’s Your Budget?
It’s important to consider how much you want to pay. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get the best electric razor for an elderly man and a high cost does not guarantee quality.
On average, you should expect to pay about $100 for an electric razor, including any replacement foils or blades that you might need.
Usually, blades will last about three years before they need to be replaced. Be aware that features on these devices are becoming more advanced.
Razors with better features are always going to cost more. For instance, if you want a razor with a charging station, this will always be more expensive.
Which Brand Is Best?
This is a difficult question to answer as many people do have their preferences when it comes to razor brands and brands of similar equipment. If you research online, you’ll find that there are lots of opinions on the brands available.
For instance, many people suggest that Braun offers electric razors that deliver the highest level of value.
On the other hand, Philips could be an ideal choice if you are exploring a rotary electric razor. There are other less well-known brands too that could still match your requirements for a device like this.
Do You Need Directional Blades?
In the past, the blades on an electric razor were static. However, advances in technology have allowed for intricate blade movements. Since the blades can move in multiple directions, it’s possible to experience far smoother and closer electric shaves.
Static bladed razors still exist on the market however they are definitely a dying breed. If you want the best electric shaves with the minimum level of effort, directional blades will certainly be ideal.
Should You Opt For Foil Or Rotary?
The answer to this question isn’t as clear cut as it seems. Though, as with the brands, people do have their own personal preferences. For instance, some people prefer rotary blades because they are quieter. They are also ideal if you have a lot of hair growth and particularly long facial hair.
Foil is best suited for short hair though they are a little louder. You’ll get a closer shave with this option and a higher level of precision.
Be aware that certain electric razors do require more maintenance. For an elderly man, a lower level of maintenance might be best. As such, you should seek out a razor that only needs periodic cleanings.
These are available on the market if you explore the reviews. You can get a solid idea of the type of experience people have when looking after their razor. Most razors will need emptying of the shavings to continue to work effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do You Need To Use Accessories With An Electric Razor?
While it is possible to shave when wet with an electric razor, it’s not recommended. The reason for this is simple. An electric razor does contact the surface of the skin. This can change if your skin is wet which is why you shouldn’t use it in the shower or after getting ready. Instead, shave with your razor first.
Are Electric Razors Better Than Blades?
Certainly, people will find electric razors a lot better than blades. They are definitely safer to use and will result in fewer issues with cuts. It’s also faster to shave with an electric razor so it’s great if you’re a caregiver looking for a razor you can use with an elderly gentleman.
What Tech Options Are Available?
You can explore a variety of tech features when you choose an electric razor. For instance, you might want to think about the type of screen. LED and LCD screens are both available. They provide key information such as the level of charge and in some cases, whether the razor needs maintenance.
Some razors are also wireless and come with shaving stations. Others come with a complete set of shaving accessories including different blades that can be fitted. More expensive electric razors often use additional levels of tech which makes them easier to use for elderly individuals.
Are Electric Razors Cheaper Than A Manual Razor?
In the short term, electric razors are always going to be more expensive. However, in the long term, you will actually save a lot of money with this option. You won’t have to replace your razor nearly as often or constantly buy new blades. Over several years you could end up spending at least a couple $100 on a manual razor compared to approximately $60 for a quality electric razor.
What Razor Do We Recommend?
It’s difficult to recommend one razor over the rest as they all provide numerous advantages. However, for the elderly man, we would certainly opt for the Philips SP9860. It has a smart system that is perfect for easy usage.
The wireless charging pad is also a massive bonus and it barely feels like you’re shaving at all. You’ll never have to worry about any accidental cuts with this particular device.
We hope this helps you see that there are various great electric razors available on the market. If you are an elderly man, there’s obviously more considerations here beyond the charging time and the quality.
You need to make sure that this is going to be comfortable for you to use in the long term and is easy to maintain. There are numerous choices to keep in mind, so it’s definitely worth researching the market carefully before you make a final decision.