Gardening is a rewarding hobby with many benefits. Using one of the best garden kneelers for seniors will absolutely make the hobby even more enjoyable.
There is nothing that compares to the feeling of growing and nurturing your garden from small seedlings to flourishing flowers, vegetables, and herbs. For retirees and seniors, establishing a gardening hobby is a great way to stay active and improve mental health while also contributing to a healthy diet.
Best Gardening Tools for Seniors (Pain-Free Tested & Approved)
But as we get older, it is important to support the body’s changing needs while engaging in strenuous activities, including gardening. Older adults are at higher risk for arthritis and other chronic pain or mobility issues, which can make it hard to participate in the kneeling and bending required to maintain a beautiful garden.
Luckily there are options out there to help, including gardening kneelers.
This article will go over some of the best types of garden kneelers available and give you the advantages and disadvantages of each in order to help you make the best decision for your needs.
Types of Garden Kneelers
Garden kneelers are a beneficial tool for everyone who gardens, whether they have an issue with mobility or not. Using a gardening kneeler can:
- Provide cushion for your knees
- Help you get down to the ground easier
- Keep your pants and legs clean from dirt
- Protects knees from sticks, pebbles, or other painful pieces in the soil
- Prevent future mobility issues from pressure on the knees and back
- Add extra comfort while gardening
There are a couple of major types of garden kneelers that boast differing features.
Garden Kneeler Pad
This is a simple thick pad usually made of foam, which is placed directly on the ground. It does not have handles or legs.
Garden Kneeler Seat
These kneelers are generally a foldable stool that can either be sat or kneeled on, depending on how you set it up.
As a stool, this type of kneeler allows you prune or harvest taller plants without bending and putting a strain on your back.
If you flip the seat upside down, it turns into a kneeler, with the legs acting as support to lower yourself and help you stand back up.
Garden Kneeler Pads vs Garden Kneeler Seats
Both types of kneelers have benefits and drawbacks to address varying needs, summarized in the tables below.
Garden Kneeler Pad
- Lightweight and easy to move or store
- Pad cleans easily with a simple wipe
- Appropriate for any weight
- Can use on level or uneven ground
- No support for lowering to the ground
- Can take up too much area space during use
- Does not offer the best back support
- May not be the best for injured knees
Garden Kneeler Seat
- Versatility to prune taller or shorter plants
- Provide support for knees and back
- Most fold up for easy mobility and storage
- Can add storage pouches or extra padding if needed
- Some may have weight limits
- Can be difficult to use on uneven ground
- Some may be harder to clean
- More expensive than pads
A benefit for both types of kneelers is that they can be versatile in their use. Garden kneeler pads or stools can also be used for:
- Yoga and exercise
- Bathing children or pets
- Working on vehicles
- Home maintenance tasks
- Extra seating during outdoor activities
- Outdoor step stool
Best Garden Kneeling Pads for Senior Citizens
Top 10 Garden Kneeler Pads
Dimple Kneeling Pad
- PORTABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT Lightweight gardening pad for easy transportation with a Built-in handle...
- BEST DESIGN SIZE -17.8 inch x 11 Inch design provides for confortable and natural posture while...
- EXTRA THICK HIGH DENSITY FOAM: 1.5” Thick and will not compress over time or absorb water in...
The Dimple garden kneeler pad is extra thick with 1.5 inches of EVA foam and is a large size at 17.8 inches by 11 inches. This lightweight pad has a handle for portability, and the dimpled texture ensures it stays in place.
This Amazon’s Choice kneeler pad was one of our top 4 selected best garden kneelers.
This kneeler pad is on the firm side and may be better for soft surfaces over hard surfaces. Users report the Dimple Kneeling Pad is supportive and comfortable for long periods of time.
- Large size
- Water-resistant, making it easy to wash and for use in damp soil
- Great value with a two-pack for $20
- Some users report this pad is too firm for bad knees